Are you down on yourself all the time? A low self-esteem can affect how you feel, how you relate to other people, how you deal with challenges and how relaxed and safe you feel in your daily life.
In order to be happy you need to like yourself. If you believe that you are not ok, or if you are constantly putting yourself down, you are more likely to feel sad or miserable than someone who has a positive view of themselves.
Working towards a high self-esteem is not that hard, here are 25 tips for you to boost your self esteem:
1. Set achievable goals and plan on realizing them.
2. Make decisions and stick to them.
3. Hang out with people who encourage you to succeed. Derive inspiration from them.
4. Think, speak and be positive.
5. Greet everybody with a smile. (Remember that smiling at others causes them to smile back at you).
6. Be thankful for what others do.
7. Be modest about your accomplishments. Have confidence in your abilities but don’t brag about them.
8. Stop talking about your problems. Nobody really wants to hear them anyway.
9. Respond to difficult circumstances. (When the going gets tough, the tough get going)
10. Learn from your mistakes. Nobody’s perfect.
11. Take a risk and try something new.
12. Imagine your goals are achieved. There’s an old saying: If you can imagine it, you can achieve it.
13. Make your bed time a happy, quiet time. Create a sense of calm about you.
14. Un-clutter your living space and simplify your life.
15. Don’t give up no matter what happens. Finish whatever you start.
16. Become your own best friend and biggest fan. Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Talk yourself up.
17. Say nice things to other people. Lend a helping hand when you can. It feels wonderful when other people appreciate you.
18. Take care of your physical appearance. On days when you feel bad are the days you need to take extra care to look good.
19. Make a list of reasons why you respect yourself. Try to come up with at least 50 reasons.
20. Do something that makes you feel good, something that’s just for you, on a daily basis.
21. Do something productive. Accomplish some tasks you’ve been putting off.
22. Don’t take things personally. When somebody behaves in a rude or abrasive manner, it’s usually a sign that they’re having a bad day and has nothing to do with you.
23. Don’t take things so seriously. Lighten up and see the humorous side of life’s everyday calamities.
24. Don’t sweat the petty stuff and don’t pet the sweaty stuff. (had to throw a little humor in there somewhere)
25. Exercise regularly
Author: Tanya Michalski