I’m a huge fan of working out at home and doing outdoor activities with my kids. Every time I’ve made the effort to join a gym I get frustrated and then feel bad because I’m not working on my health. I finally found a trick to being successful at weight loss. I started to get up early and work out at home.
Being able to get up early and work out at home without anybody looking at me certainly had it’s perks, I dressed the way I wanted, nobody was staring at me and I did not feel like a loser every time I had to stop and take a break. Fitness gurus certainly have it figured out, I just love the way they manage to keep you motivated though a simple TV screen.
Motivation is key to any successful weight loss program and workout routine. It does not matter whether it’s a simple yoga CD in your living room or a 10mile run in the blazing sun; motivation is key. There’s also a few more details we must all keep in mind as we focus on our weight loss and fitness.
Here is a list of 3 of my favorite ‘fitness gurus’ and their personal weight loss and fitness secrets:
Tony Horton: Tony is the mind and the body behind the famous Beach Body P90 and P90X workouts. Tony is just like any of us, which is quite a relief as he had to work on his body just like you and me. He grew up loving fast food and hating exercise and never even had a plan until he moved to L.A. One thing I love about Tony is his spirit, he always seems to have such a great outlook on life. What makes Tony so successful at what he does?
Tony has what he likes to call the 11 Laws for a lifetime of fitness and weight loss:
1. A variety of exercises, workouts and sports will allow you to avoid injury.
2. Consistency in your fitness plan is key, stopping and starting will kill your momentum.
3. Intensity, you’re tougher than you think you are!
4. Make it your purpose to have a better life.
5. Don’t fall into thinking about the past or the future, focus on right now.
6. No matter what sport or exercise you chose to do, focus on moving.
7. Stick to a plan, it creates accountability.
8. Stress and lack of sleep make it impossible to be fit and healthy.
9. Work on your flexibility, it’s the fountain of youth.
10. Love what you do, if you don’t, there’s no way on earth you’ll succeed.
11. You are what you eat.
Jillian Michaels: Best known as “The queen of lean”, Jillian Michaels is well known for her work on the reality show “The Biggest Loser”. I don’t know about you, as much as she’s mean, pushy and screams at people, I’d love to have Jillian as my personal trainer! Believe it or not Jullian was an overweight angry teenager, lived on junk food and was constantly getting into trouble. Whilst suffering with her parent’s divorce she enrolled in martial arts classes and that’s where it all began. Jillian’s success?
Jillian focuses on the following 10 fitness and weight loss tips:
1. Exercise doesn’t only tone your body it boosts self-esteem and your mood.
2. If you’re working on a small stubborn pounds, increase the intensity.
3. If you get bored, switch things up.
4. Think quality over quantity with your workouts, always use proper form.
5. Never exercise on an empty stomach.
6. Never over do it.
7. If you want fast results, try circuit training.
8. To ramp up your fitness regime incorporate high intensity interval training.
9. Six pack abs are not just about crunches, work on the fat first!
10. Never hold on when you’re on the treadmill.
Bob Harper: Last but not least Bob Harper is another ‘fitness guru” also well known for his work on “The Biggest Loser”. A little kinder and softer than Jillian, Bob was also a non-active kid until he reached university and got a fitness instructor’s certification.
A personal trainer to many celebrities Bob also has a few weight loss and fitness tips of his own to share:
1. Always practice the sun salutation (yoga pose), it strengthens every inch of you.
2. For fast and best results, always work in intervals.
3. Always fill up on fewer calories.
4. Get your shut-eye, recovery time is essential.
Author: Ann Brampton