Not all stress is bad. I know, I know, tell that to the knots in your back. To a certain extent, stress works for us. And then we reach that point. The point where you’re so fraught with nerves, you literally just snap at the slightest thing.
For some of us, it only happens as we approach the end of a long year without a holiday but for others, it’s like we’re permanently frazzled.
I’m somewhere in between. I’ve learned to check in with my body regularly especially when I start snapping at people and feeling like I’m going to crack over the smallest thing.
The key is to incorporate enough of these stress busters into your daily routine so you de-stress regularly.
Here are some ideas to de-stress, mostly frugal!
1. Exercise: You can do anything from walking or running, to working out at the gym. From personal experience, I can tell you that a boxing class is a great stress reliever!
2. Get enough sleep: Research shows that most people need between 7 and 8 hours’ sleep every night. Just like babies, when you don’t get enough sleep, you get crabby and everything irritates you.
3. Learn to say “no”: Many people are stressed because of built-up resentment due to their inability or unwillingness to say NO. Trust me – it gets easier the more you say it.
4. Practise self-care: This can be anything from taking a bubble bath to getting a manicure or a massage. The main thing is to do something for YOU on at least a weekly basis, preferably daily. Every day without fail I take 30 minutes to just sit and relax with a cup of tea. What do you do?
5. Use your support system regularly: When you feel overwhelmed or frazzled, call a friend, family member or colleague, either just to talk or to help you!
Now, put one or all of these ideas into practice for better mental health and ultimately increased productivity!
Author: Marcia Francois