Many consider meditation as a form of spiritual healing, others think of it as some kind of mental training. While these general views may carry some truth, in reality meditating is actually a powerful form of discipline. Its ultimate core is to bring focus to both the mind & body. Discover the truth behind the true power of meditation and a few other important details by reading the full article below.
Meditation is generally defined as an inwardly oriented mental discipline wherein a person attempts to go beyond their normal functioning capabilities, into a deeper level of awareness and relaxation. Meditation is a renowned technique for achieving deep rest that is believed to bring harmony & balance. In addition, meditation is also believed to be effective in reducing stress and improving the quality of life.
The theoretical explanation for meditation’s effectiveness in relieving stress is believed to be on the release of stress hormones and catecholamine in the brain. Parasympathetic activity of the brain has also been noted to increase during sessions. In addition, aside from its stress relieving benefit, frequent meditating can also help bring the following benefits:
- Meditation can help bring a simpler life. Believe it or not, a person can actually straighten out and simplify their outlook in life through regular practice. Too much thinking about problems, work, and every day living can pollute the mind leaving a person less appreciative to their surroundings. By regularly meditating, however, an individual can negate these complications as they learn how to simplify their way of thinking.
- Meditation can help cultivate happiness. By practicing this technique frequently, a person can actually cultivate a deeper level of happiness. As this progresses, eventually this would lead the practitioner to be in tune with their inner self. Extensive studies also confirm that practicing this technique regularly is effective in eliminating frustrations, violence, societal stress, and anxiety.
- Meditation helps fight chronic pain. Aside from improving the quality of life, this technique is also known to relieve the symptoms of chronic pain issues by minimizing or diminishing the stimuli responsible for attention disorders. One study has also revealed that regular practice can help elevate the alpha rhythm of the brain. Alpha waves primary help suppress irrelevant sensory information.
- Meditation is an effective method to improve productivity. Constant stress & pressure can cause an individual to function less efficiently and productively. Leaders, in particular, who are expected to perform at a more competent level can actually benefit from this method as it helps improve their cardiovascular health, develop the cognitive function of their brain, and enhance their mental creativity.
- Meditation helps optimize the brain to function more efficiently. When the brain is under stress, the tendency is it would gradually increase its stimulus pathways in order for it to function normally. While this physiological action may sound good, it is actually the other way around. As a consequence to this action, a person would start to respond without actually thinking.
Through meditation an individual can effectively strengthen the communication between the different parts of their brain. As a result, this person can display a stronger intuitive ability, particularly in making well thought out decisions.